Social Icons

Tuesday 3 April 2012

So... About That Acronym

I'd like to take a moment to thank all of you who have linked to this blog, its posts, and added the blog to their blogrolls.  I truly do appreciate it.  I understand it may not be an easy choice to do so, given the tone used here is ... shall we say, confrontational and angry.  But that's because I'm fucking angry.

Anyway, Bill Sticker notes fairly on his blog that the acronym chosen for this site is "unfortunate."  (I apologise, Bill, I wanted to reply to that on your blog, but your comments are locked down so that only certain accounts can comment, accounts I am not using.)  Right.  This is not directed at you, Bill, it's a general statement for all who come here:

I am acutely aware that some people will find the word "cunt" unacceptable.  Most of us, myself included, were taught which words in the English language were acceptable for polite conversation amongst the intellectuals and decent folk, and which words were reserved for use by the thuggish, despicable criminal class.

But they are only words.  A word, all by itself, has no power.  It is nothing more than a sequence of letters to represent the sounds we make when we speak. The power of a word, written or spoken, comes from the intent of the person using that word.  In this regard, many benign words can be wielded as awesome weapons. Stringing together a collection of these awesome weapons sometimes may result in mass destruction of ideas, changes to culture, happiness, sadness, love and hate.  It's about intent.  It is never about the actual word itself.  A word all by itself has no power unless you decide to give it power.  And if you do give a word super powers, then it's your problem, not mine.

Likewise, only you can decide to be offended by something.  If you are offended by something someone has said or written, it's your problem.  I know this flies in the face of everything the politically-correct fuckfaces have been saying since the late 1970s, but only you have the power to choose whether to be offended.  I don't have this power over you.  Perhaps you think I do, but it's your free will at play here.  You have chosen your morals and beliefs.  It's your problem if I don't fit into that neat little box you've created for your perfect society.  You don't have to like what I say or write.  You are free to tell me exactly what you think about what I've said, or what you think about me.  I'm not stopping you. Let it rip.  It is definitely not my job to make sure your world is free from things you might find offensive.

So, I chose this blog name to make a point, but truth be told it was sort of organically created out of the ether one night after a few glasses of wine.  There were a few other choices I had considered.  For example:  PUNT - People United... blah, blah... but that was dull.  I vacillated on the word Tyrant for a while.  Should I use Technocrat instead?  But CUNT was funny to me, and I knew some would embrace it and others would cringe. It wasn't until Stumpy Bear (who will be contributing to this blog sometime this decade) came up with the tag line "Because we are all being fucked" that I thought, fuck it, let's do this thing.

I know some people won't add me to their blogrolls, as they need to maintain a certain level of "decency" as it were.  I'm OK with that.  I'm certainly not offended by your choices.  The only things I take offence to are people who try to tell me how I should live my life, and those who would then legislate it.  These are, of course, my problems.