Social Icons

Friday 4 May 2012

I Really Do Not Do Politics

Despite the giant-ass graphic to the right that gently suggests that you should Vote Them All Out, I really don't do politics, nor do I align myself with any political party despite my strong libertarian leanings.  I am a free-thinking individual, perfectly capable of deciding what is or is not best for me.  I do not need anyone or a group hive-mind to tell me how to live my life, and I do not respect any group or person who will insist that you should live your life in a particular way.  Politicians therefore have not earned my respect. 

But it's election time, the votes are counted or almost counted, and people are all worked up about it, so I thought I should write a small something-something on the matter.  It really does not matter which party you vote for, in my opinion.  They will, all of them, screw somebody over at some point and it will likely be you.  Ultimately they will let you down.  It is the nature of politics after all.  It has always been like this, and it will always be like this.  It cannot be avoided.  Because it is the nature of people to want to control something or someone.  It is, however, ironic that politicians are completely unable to control themselves whilst they control our lives.

I view elections as if they are high-speed train wrecks waiting to happen.  There is the promise of going somewhere exciting, only to find out somewhere along the line that you've been violently thrown from the carriage and are now lying in a bloody, whimpering heap 100 metres away, left there to die an agonisingly slow and painful death, completely ignored because the rescuers are busy searching the flaming, twisted wreckage for survivors, because that makes for a better news story at 10 p.m.

That's why I don't do politics.